My Interview With ZCR

  After I did my article about his music, I reached out to ZCR and asked him a few questions about his music and just about him and general. He is one of the best people I had the opportunity to talk to so here y’all go!

Tell me about you.

Where do I start, I’m just a guy trying to get through life like anybody else I guess. I grew up in Upstate New York, I had a pretty normal life playing sports, friends, and all that shit. Music and art started to become a bigger part of my life in middle school. Where I started developing my taste for music and digging addiction around the same time – thanks to the influence of my brother. Currently, I work as the creative director at Jason of Beverly Hills, designing high-end jewelry while also pursuing music.

So I found you as an artist from your remix of H8 by Yung Bambi. Yung Bambi has been an artist I have listened to for a while, so would you mind telling me about your relationship with him? And working with him in general? 

Bambi’s the homie, we’ve probably known each other for like 4ish years now. Like you, I was listening to his stuff before I knew him and started sending him beats. He kinda brought me into his circle and we’ve been friends since. He’s done a lot for me and that’s just kinda the dude he is. Super welcoming to everyone, kind-hearted, funny, and knowledgeable in music and production/engineering. I still remember the first thing he said to me when we met was “damn you're tall as a beast” lol.

Tell me about “Parasitic”.

Parasitic started as a track that I and gizmo were working on at his place but sounded completely different at the time. I sat on it for a while but felt like it wasn’t as hard as it could be. His vocals were super aggressive but the beat wasn’t keeping the same energy so one day I started reworking it and came up with what you hear now.

Tell me about the creative process behind “Is There No One Else”

The idea behind the project was to create a song for different scenes in a dark/dystopian movie I guess. I used an AI/ Robotic voice to sort of narrate the experience where you can’t tell if she’s guiding or misguiding you throughout different scenarios. Sonically it combines various styles of music I’m interested in–painted with distorted basses, metallic projects, detuned synths, and unique vocals.

Tell me about “Coupe”.

Coupe is a remix I made based on smokepurpp’s fingers' blue acapella. It’s a pretty standard sound from me a couple of years ago. To get the drop lead, I chopped up his vocals and processed them to get the plucky vocoded sound you hear.

Another artist I have seen you work a lot with is TrippyThaKid, could you also tell me about your relationship with him?

Love trippy, there was a point during the winter of the pandemic when we face-timed for like 8hrs a day for a month. He wouldn't even hang up to shit or shower lol. I met him when he was staying in LA and we’ve been cool since. Musically we work well together, everything is super easy and kind of just flows. He’s open-minded with the beats he gets on too so I try to send him super weird shit. Really good dude, super funny, and also has an autistic-level memory. He can quote the most obscure line from a show he’s seen once like 8 years ago lol.

Tell me about “Akobai”.

I don’t even know, it’s like a tribal trap song. Can’t remember much about it honestly. I remember being influenced by a lot of Cozway’s stuff at the time.

Who is one of your favorite artists you have worked with?

Damn, I can’t even narrow it down, there are so many. Everyone on the Partica Artist Group roster that I’ve worked with. As of late this dude Ql1x is an absolute unit and we share a very similar mixing style with loud-ass 808s. Rap-wise it was a lot of fun working with Bvdlvd but of course trippy, Kamiaya, Bambi, rare akuma & all the midnight guys. 

What made you pursue the music industry?

I wouldn’t say I’m pursuing the music industry but more of pursuing music–the industry is just something you have to deal with once you get to a certain point.

What are your plans for 2023?

In terms of EDM music, I’m gonna be making a lot more club-style music in 2023, less mainstage edm trap bangers. On the rap side, I’ve got a cool single that I’m releasing with an artist that I idolize, which will be paired with a music video. More rap production with the usual suspects, playing more shows, etc.


Comments